Wednesday, February 14, 2007

AND THEY DON'T SMOKE

January 26, 2007 - Children growing up alongside freeways risk having their lung development impaired, which can increase their likelihood of serious respiratory disease later in life. Other studies have shown that children living next to highways are more likely to develop respiratory problems such as asthma. But the report in the journal the Lancet is the first to show that long exposure to car and truck exhaust actually affects the growth of lungs and, as a result, their capacity. Researchers add reduced lung capacity is a known risk factor for cardiovascular disease and respiratory diseases such as emphysema. (I couldn't find the link for this. It sounds like a big city newspaper or a superficial medical site. I didn't mean The Lancet, the most respected British Medical Journal in the world.) There is an excellent book about this, called Lives Per Gallon. You may want to read it.

1 comment:

david mcmahon said...

Dear Catmoves,

Interesting variety of subjects. I like the subtle use of the grey tone to break up the posts.

Nice choice of blog name, too. Quirkey Turkey is one that people would tend to remember - so you've chosen well and that's the first lesson of marketing. I for one, have saved your blog to my Favourites.

Have a look at my blog occasionally. It's at http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/ so leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

If I could give you one piece of advice, based on my career in magazine and newspaper editing and design, it would be to incorporate some graphics or pictures, just to break up the slabs of text.

Cheers

David (aka aussiejourno)