Sunday, August 26, 2007

MICROSOFT AND THE PUZZLE

Some things are surprising. Some are astounding. And some absolutely amazing. Herewith a reprint of an puzzling report from Microsoft:

Details Product: Windows Operating System ID: 8003 Source: MRxSmb Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOWSER_OTHER_MASTER_ON_NET Message: The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer %2 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport %3. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. Explanation This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only. The existence of two browser masters occurs when a second computer cannot contact the master browser for some reason: for example, when there are name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond. When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both. The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers: for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet Web site. User Action No user action is required. Version: 5.0 Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOWSER_OTHER_MASTER_ON_NET Message: The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer %2 Explanation This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only. The existence of two browser masters occurs when a second computer cannot contact the master browser for some reason: for example, when there are name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond. When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both. The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers: for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet Web site.. User Action No user action is required. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft .com/default.aspx.

I guess I don't have to do anything. I'm not sure if it was Wild Thing's computer that lost the election or mine. In fact, I didn't even know I was running.

I will not tolerate both our browsers wanting to be the master. They've obviously never heard of Abe Lincoln and the Proclamation.

I wish I knew how to chastise my browser for its behavior. Furthermore, I don't remember ever downloading an 02 or 03 browser. Hell, I can't even find either of them in my programs.

Emjoy yourself. Click on the header.

12 comments:

Jonathan Plutchok said...

Catmoves, this is Jonathan Plutchok of "Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill." I could not find an email for you, so I am responding here to your comment on my blog #32:
"I clicked on "G"'s link and got: 'The Blogger Profile you requested cannot be displayed....'
Have no idea how to get to that site."

"G"'s site is http://blog.fixyourdesktop.com (this was listed right under his comment), and it is well worth a visit. I hope this is helpful.

Thank you very much again for recommending my site to your readers. Best of luck to you.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ow. I need to lie down in a darkened room now (ON MY OWN). Egos make my brain hurt. Sigh.

(You always make me smile!)

Anonymous said...

I would read this again but my head hurts now. Could you translate it for me? Never mind. :)

I did go to the 101 blog and as a Canuck I can't wait to get caught up with the 101 list of people who have screwed up Canada. Thanks for the link, Turkey,

Catmoves said...

Thank you jonathan. I got to the site URL you sent and it's also a goodie.
It's always my pleasure to add a site, such as yours, that is so thoughtfully done.

Catmoves said...

shrink, I'm with you. I tried to read that remarkable document from Micro$oft three times. I was hoping you'd tell me what it meant. And I believe you laid down alone. And the moon is made of what?

Catmoves said...

One of these days I'm going to engage a microsoft expert and ask him/her what it means.
I appreciate that the author of the 101 article admits he may have missed a few.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ah shit, alright, I wasn't on my own, I took Jess in with me. Reckoned I needed a fur-ball to help nurse me better..

Catmoves said...

Carol, I might have known. My cats love walking me to the mailbox and trash bin too. You're an ole softy.

alphonsedamoose said...

HUH?

Catmoves said...

EXACTLY, moose. >(*..~)<

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon!!! querkeyturkey.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. Keep it that way.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!