Saturday, May 5, 2007

WE NEED AN IRS RECALL

Once in a while I want to scream.
The CDT (Center for Democracy & Technology) has a new post about the IRS wanting to stick its nose into your pocketbook. They want your favorite "broker of personal property" (like auction houses and consignment stores) to get your personal information and share it with the IRS.
But according to the CDT, the real target are sites like eBay, Amazon, Craig's list and such. That means all these Internet sites would have to collect your personal info (SS number, address, phone number, age of your firstborn and so on). Then they'd have to store it. And leave you open to errors and perhaps a lack of security about your personal information. After all, the Feds aren't the best at securing information.
I'd like to know when was the last time you offered Yahoo or eBay your SS number? I for one would not ever use them again. I imagine many people would feel the same way. Imagine, the IRS going to force businesses to close?
I hope they don't forget they qualify for number two on the three place list of Big Lies. You know, the one that says, "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you".
Have a read of this thing. It's one more attempt to pigeon hole you.

7 comments:

Cuckoo said...

I hope I would never fall prey to these things. A big farce.

Thanks for dropping by at my blog. Hope to see more of you there.

Interestingly, your comments rules matches word by word with mine. ;)

Catmoves said...

Cuckoo it's confession time. I liked your comments rules so much I can only say Mea Culpa.
That'll teach you to be so good with your writing. :)
The CDT is a good organization for keeping abreast of some of the idiocies and good things about computering. Subscriptions to the newsletter are free (my favorite thing).

Cuckoo said...

Thanks for the praise but since it is attributed under Creative Commons, it is only fair if you to give credit to me. You can just link my blog saying so.

And of course, I'll keep up the good work ;) Keep coming & you'll get to know.

Women on the Verge said...

That'd be the day. My daughter's school wanted my husband's social security #... for what I'll never know... they weren't sure themselves. Suffice it to say they didn't get it so it's a given that ebay won't.

E

Catmoves said...

Geeze. Now a school wants your SS number? It seems like a constant chipping away at our privacy under rather stupid and, hopefully, failing tactics. I wonder how many other parents sent in their number? Are you going to bring this up at your next PTA meeting?

Anonymous said...

Well,, SS#'s are suppose to show US citizenship...

Catmoves said...

Not really anonymous. Very plainly, typed across the face of my Social card, it states: "Not To Be Used For Identification".
And I don't know of any place that will cash a check with only a Social Security Card for ID.