Sunday, July 8, 2007

GOOGLE'S A BAD GUY?

Is it possible? Is Google locking out honest users? I dunno. I do know that at one stage they sent me an email stating that I had a temporary suspension 'cause they were worried I was a spammer. I typed in the required words and numbers and they sent me a letter thanking me and approving my ability to use Blogger. Somehow, I think they were a form letters sent willy nilly to bloggers. I do not believe they are a crooked house, but the pic was too good to just throw away. It's real, I was told. There is such a house. I don't know where but my correspondent swore it was true. Good enough for me. I usually only investigate hoaxes and politicians. You can follow this up by the click in the header. Analyst's Diary GoogleBlock Magnus June 15, 2007 11:44 GMT A few days ago the Inquirer published a (sic) interesting little article talking about how Google hadn't returned the search results he wanted, but instead told him his computer might be infected with a malicious program. And today one of our clients got caught the same way – the ubiquitous search engine was displaying the same error message to lots of the company's staff. I'm interested in why this happened. It's not very difficult to find a possible answer: a lot of spammers use Google to find the emails of potential victims and automate this task by using little scripts which may be run from infected machines. So Google can implement a temporary block which is lifted when the user correctly responds to Google's captcha by entering the letters and numbers shown, proving that s/he is not a spambot. We've managed to reproduce the suspicious behaviour that can get a human user getting locked out of Google. And once the user's been locked out, his/ her IP address get's blacklisted. This can be a problem if the user is coming in via a proxy server – it will be the proxy that will be seen as the attacker, and the proxy that gets blocked. Which means that all the users coming in via the same proxy will also be subject to the same restrictions, until someone correctly solves the captcha. It would of course be helpful if the Google warning clearly stated that it could be the proxy, rather than the user's computer, which is suspected of being a bot. We've suggested this to Google, and we'll let you know their response. Of course, it might not be a false alarm at all - there might be an infected computer on your network, and Google raising the red flag could be the first sign of infection. But even though Google's search capability may be awesome, a dedicated antivirus program is still going to be the most reliable way of catching malicious programs.

4 comments:

alphonsedamoose said...

Cat: I got locked out a couple of months ago, but it was a Google problem that they eventually got fixed

Catmoves said...

OK. So that's a no against Google being a bad guy.
Thanks moose. I have also noted in Google Adwords that people write in complaining Google blocking their blog, then admit to clicking on the links on their own pages. That's a sure way to get barred.

Lin said...

I can understand their latest move to block spammers. Be particularly careful to NOT open and follow the e-mails stating that you have an e-card from whoever. That is a genuine virus threat:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
It seems to fall in with your recent experience with Google.

So ... did you sneak out here and take that photo of our addition project or what?!?

Catmoves said...

Darn lin, you caught me. Camera's still shaking from the experience.
There are many threats to us (we?) surfers lin. I try to include a few sites worth checking out in the sidebars. Secunia.com will tell you what you need to update, Spamcops.com will give you lowdown on bad stuff.
But I still do not want any government to begin deciding what is and isn't spam.